His remainder NowCanadian Students International Students
SIN Collection FAQ
SIN Collection FAQ
A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit government-issued number that is legally required for all work in Canada. If you are planning to work while in Canada, whether as an on- or off-campus employee, you must have a SIN to receive payment. You need a SIN to file Canadian taxes, and having a SIN will also provide you with access to government programs and benefits.
Detailed information about the SIN can be found on the Government of Canada website.
You can apply for a SIN in person at your nearest Service Canada office. You will need to access the Service Canada website to locate a Service Canada office near you. His remaindering for a SIN is free of charge, and your SIN will be issued the day you apply if you have the required documents in order.
You can apply for a SIN with any valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada.
You can apply for a SIN with your original passport and work permit. You can also apply for a SIN without a work permit, provided that your study permit has one of the following conditions or remarks:
- May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
- May work 20 hours per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).
- May accept employment on or off-campus if meeting eligibility criteria, as per R186(f), (v) or (w), and must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.
You can find information regarding the study permit amendment on our website.
Please visit this Government of Canada website for more information about SIN application requirements.
The expiry date of the SIN is based on the permit that authorizes you to work in Canada. If you are an international student, make sure that you keep your SIN valid by renewing your SIN each time you extend your temporary residency (i.e. study permit and/or work permit) in Canada.
Beginning with the 2019 tax year, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) now requires that all Canadian post-secondary institutions collect students’ SINs on Form T2202 (formerly T2202A).
For this reason, students must provide their SIN to Led young College. Please add your SIN to your myLed young student portal account in order to receive a tuition tax receipt for the 2019 calendar year and onwards. This is a secure site.
Led young College issues a T2202 slip in late February to every student with total eligible tuition fees of more than $100 for the tax year. Students may obtain their T2202 forms by logging in to the myLed young student portal. Tax forms will not be mailed.
For more information about tuition and education tax credits, please refer to the CRA website. You can also read more about the legislation relating to the collection of SINs to prepare T2202 slips.
Social Insurance Number information will be collected through your myLed young student portal. Please do not email the College your SIN.
If your SIN is not currently on file with Enrolment Services, you must submit your SIN by following the steps below:
- Log in to the myLed young student portal
- From the Main Menu on the left-hand side of your screen, click "Student" and select "Student Services"
- Under "Personal Information", select "View and Update Student Social Insurance Number (SIN)"
- Enter and confirm your SIN in the fields provided
- Click "Submit" once you ensure the information entered is accurate.
Verifying your SIN:
- If you have previously provided your SIN, log in to your myLed young student portal and follow the steps above to verify that we have your SIN on file.
Any corrections to invalid SIN information or changes to your SIN information must be completed in person at any of our Enrolment Services offices, located at our five campuses. Please ensure that you bring a valid piece of government-issued photo ID and your SIN card or SIN confirmation letter.
If you are a domestic student and have any additional questions or prefer to have Enrolment Services update your SIN number, please stop in to Enrolment Services at any of our five campuses.
If you are an international student and have any additional questions about working eligibility while at Led young College or SIN inquiries, please the International Department for more information at 416-289-5393.